Sunday, October 18, 2015

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Donuts

Every time fall swings by, the most popular baking/dessert blogs would start popping up posts pumpkin themed, from cheesecake to mousses and even pie! I’ve never even had pumpkin pie in my life! When I first got my hands on a can of Libby’s pumpkin puree whilst visiting my sister in the States last year, MY HEART WAS PALPITATING SO WILDLY WITH EXCITEMENT I THOUGHT I MIGHT PASS OUT IN THE BAKING AISLE. No joke. Since then, I’ve been hooked on baking with pumpkin – brownies, cakes and cheesecakes!
I’ve graduated from canned pumpkin puree to making my own (it’s ridiculously easy), because pumpkins are ridiculously cheap and easy to obtain from the local NTUC. My all time favourite recipe has got to be Shauna Sever’s Everything Autumn muffins, deliciously moist and spicy, redolent with pumpkin flavor. Super easy too! The original recipe calls for healthy add-ins like apples, but I love using whatever chocolate I have on hand for an indulgent afternoon snack.
Top with chocolate ganache and crushed Tiger biscuits like I did, or when lazy, slather with Ovalmaltine spread (like I did the second time round, pumpkin + ovalmaltine + cup of steaming Milo = game over) 



Pumpkin Autumn Muffins 
1 ½ cups cake flour
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons (7½ ounces/212 grams) pumpkin puree*
¾ cup (8 ounces/252 grams) pure maple syrup
½ cup (4 ounces/113 grams) canola or grapeseed oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¾ cup chocolate chips
¼ cup chopped nuts (I used cashew)
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Make the muffins: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and ginger.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until very smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Fold gently until well blended. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
5. Fill the wells of the donut tin about two-thirds full of batter. Sprinkle a generous tablespoonful of streusel over each muffin. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of several donuts comes out clean. Let the donuts cool for just a couple of minutes in the pan before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely. 

Baker’s Notes

1.The recipe actually calls for pure maple syrup, but I used what I had on hand – Gula Melaka syrup. Honey would be an excellent substitute as well.

2. These donuts taste even better the next few days, because the pumpkin rests well with the cake batter and spices. 


No comments:

Post a Comment